Do I need a Power of Attorney and who will look after my affairs if I become unwell or mentally incompetent

If you are unable to look after your own affairs then a Lasting Power of Attorney is essential. This is a document which gives power to a third party (usually children, for instance) and enables them to deal with your property and affairs even welfare issues.  Such documents need to be put into place before you become unwell.   There are two types:-

(a) A Property and Affairs Power which enables someone to deal with your finances, payment of bills, collection of funds and sale of assets.
(b) A Welfare Power which is designed to give someone power to make decisions about where you live, medical treatment you receive and other related issues.
The documents are reasonably straight forward to put in place but a little bureaucratic and technical and can take up to three months before finalisation.   If you are interested we would be pleased to offer an initial free consultation.


Need some help or advice?

Let our legal experts give you a few pointers