Since the introduction of the 2003 Licensing Act, anyone wishing to sell alcohol or provide public entertainment has to adhere to a dual system of licensing, as both personal and premises licenses are necessary.   For the sale of alcohol, you are required to undertake the new National Certificate of Personal Licence Holders examination. 

In addition, all licenses are 'policed' by the local authority and each application is subject to the view of the police, residents and environmental health officers, amongst others. It is therefore important to receive strong, independent advice if you wish to achieve your business objectives.

At Chubb Bulleid we recognise that the licensing procedure must be considered with all commercial transactions involving the purchase of licensable venues, and that all the consents are in place, in order to achieve a smooth transaction.

Even longstanding licence holders should be aware that implications of the Licensing Act apply to them. Adjustments and variations to your existing licence may be necessary for you to comply with the new obligations.

We provide legal advice and assistance in all licensing matters including:

• Applications for new Premises Licences
• Variation or Transfer of Premises Licences
• Personal Licences
• Change of Designated Premises Supervisor
• Reviews of Premises Licences - acting for operators or residents
• Appeals against Licensing Sub-Committee decisions - acting for operators or residents
• Temporary Event Notices
• Large scale outdoor events and Festivals

Our Team

Matt Chalfont-Griffin
Solicitor Director
01458 844102