In this country a notary public’s main function is to authenticate documents for use in other countries. This can involve witnessing signatures and certifying copies of documents. A notary “notarises” a document by adding his own signature and seal, sometimes directly to the document and sometimes by attaching a certificate.
Notarising is required as a number of overseas countries recognise the office of a notary public, but may not necessarily recognise certification by a solicitor. Often therefore, documents which are likely to be used or are intended to take effect abroad need notarising.
Notarial services may include witnessing and verifying signatures on a variety of documents required for use overseas including:
- Documents for use in buying or selling property
- Powers of attorney
- Statutory declarations and affidavits
- Commercial contracts
- Trade mark and patent applications and renewals
- Assignments of trade marks and patents
- Formation of companies
- Appointments of company officers
- Applications to open bank accounts
Notaries can also certify and notarise copies of various documents required for use abroad including
- Certificates of incorporation and certificates of good standing
- Certificates of appointments of company officers
- Company minutes and articles of association
- Education and qualification certificates
- Passports and other identity documentation
- Police certificates
- Medical reports
- Notarised translations
A Notary is also able to arrange ‘legalisation’ of documents which is required in some countries in addition to notarisation of documents. This is done by way of an ‘Apostille’ issued by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (which certifies that a document has been duly sealed and signed by a duly appointed notary) and, in some cases, certification by the embassy of the country concerned.
Michael Evans is a Notary Public with over 35 years experience. He is able to see you by appointment in any of our offices but can also visit you at your home or work place or arrange to meet with you at any mutually convenient location.
Charges for notarial services vary according to the nature of the documentation required and the country in which it is intended to be used but Michael can provide an estimate or quotation on request.