Licensed Premises

We deal with a significant number of transactions and businesses involving licensed premises every year.  This can involve the sale or purchase of both leasehold and freehold public houses.  The acquisition of a business of this nature is complex and involves review not just of the documentation relating to the bricks and mortar or the lease itself but also guidance and advice relating to the business, such as employees, stock, VAT and general warranty issues. Licensed premises leases may be changing in the very near future once the Pub Code is implemented. Consideration also has to be given to the requirements of the breweries in relation to repair obligations and responsibility for the acquisition of beer and the like.

Chubb Bulleid have for many years been acting for established publicans of both freehold and leasehold premises but also been guiding first time publicans on the pitfalls involved in buying a business of this nature. 

We also deal with all matters relating to the new licensing regime in respect of personal and premises licences.  We advise on obtaining new licences and also in the transfer of existing licences and the transfer of the designated supervisor at the premises.

Chubb Bulleid also advises unincorporated clubs and similar organisations in obtaining licences for one-off events.

We have extensive experience in acquiring licensed businesses including, but not limited to, restaurants, hotels, convenience stores and off-licences.  

We can also advise on the following:-

  • Security of tenure
  • Freehold sales and purchases
  • Tied Pubs
  • Pub Leases
  • Stamp Duty Land Tax
  • Licensing
  • Goodwill
  • BII requirements
  • Restraint of trade
  • Assignment
  • Statutory requirements
  • Dilapidation issues
  • Rent Review problems

Our Team

Matt Chalfont-Griffin
Solicitor Director
01458 844102
Richard Cussell
Solicitor Director
01749 836108
Laura Maden
Solicitor Director
01458 844115