Agriculture & Rural Affairs Q&As

Please use the menu on the right to locate the relevant section.


I have just bought some land which is subject to something called an ESA Agreement. Is that a problem

An ESA Agreement, or an Environmentally Sensitive Area Agreement is a very important document when acquiring land. They have now been replaced by Entry Level Scheme Agreements and Higher Level Scheme Agreements. They dictate how land should be farmed. The plus side of it is that money is paid by Natural England if the land is farmed in the appropriate manner. It is all related to the protection of the environment. If you buy land subject to any of these agreements then you will be required to honour this generally as part of a sale contract. If you sell land subject to this and a buyer does not comply with the obligations, you can be asked to repay any grant. Seek legal advice before buying or selling land subject to these kinds of agreements.

To speak to one of our experts please call us on 01749 836100 or Ask us a question


    How can we help you?

    Please fill in the form and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can