Commercial Property Q&As

Please use the menu on the right to locate the relevant section.


Do I really need to do a Fire Risk Assessment on my shop premises

Most definitely. This is a legal requirement for commercial premises, and certain other premises under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 and indeed any regulations made under it. It is, of course, for the safety of the occupants of the building so that consideration has to be given to fire exits, fire extinguishers, and so on. There is also an argument that any buildings insurance may be invalidated by the lack of a fire risk assessment in the case of a fire at a property. The bottom line is that anyone owning a property is committing a criminal offence if there is not a fire risk assessment in place.

I put my Industrial Unit on with a local commercial agent to sell. They have told me I have to have an Asbestos Survey to sell the property. Is this right

The short answer is yes. This is required for the purposes of complying with Regulation 4 of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2006 or Regulation 4 of the Control of Asbestos at Work Regulations 2002. This has been in force for many years and an assessment needs to be done and if there is the presence of asbestos it is possible to have a scheme in place to manage it. Expert advice is essential in this respect.

To speak to one of our experts please call us on 01749 836100 or Ask us a question


    How can we help you?

    Please fill in the form and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can